sâmbătă, 16 mai 2009

White Night of the Museums

I started this lovely night with a visit to the Village Museum where I had to take a crowd bath as some political analysts would say - maybe I should run for elections this autumn ;)
I never saw so many people at this museum... ever!But it was interesting to see all this people running around like crazy, trying to see all there is to see in 30 minutes so they can go to the next museum on the list.
Next I went to the Peasant Museum - I know, a lot of country style today - to see a documentary about the african music in Mali: Dambe, the Mali Project http://us.imdb.com/title/tt1206539/.
The documentary was shown during the European Film Festival in Bucharest and tells the story of 2 famous Irish musicians - Paddy Keenan and Liam O'Maonlai (from Hothouse Flowers) - who decided to play with their african counterparts at the world's most remote music festival "Festival au Desert" in Essakane, near Timbuktu (the annual gathering of the Tuaregs from West Africa).
It was a really interesting documentary and afterwards Dearbhla Glynn (the director) and the producer answered the questions asked by the audience.
We found out that the movie was made in 4 years, that Mali musicians are really talented and that music has no language barrier.



I discovered the Kora http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kora_(instrument) which is an amazing instrument, it looks like a lute and sounds like an orchestra. The Kora in the movie is 700 years old, and the man playing it - Toumani Diabate - comes from a long family tradition of kora players. His family's oral tradition tells of 71 generations of musicians preceding him in patrilineal line! That sounds like a lot, but unfortunatelly the life expectancy of Malian people is of 50 years.
After so much culture I took a stroll down... not memory lane but Calea Victoriei where I clashed with other people who planned the same thing.
I arrived at the MNAR Museum to watch the crowd waiting patiently to enter the museum, and after a few photos I decided to call it a day and go home!It was a great Saturday evening and the only reason I am happy that Depeche Mode concert was cancelled is the Irish documentary :)

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu